Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A question about our priorities.

I couldn't be happier with the decision to give the Nobel Prize in Physics to three incredibly talented men. But I'm confused. These men gave us fiber optics and digital imaging, which are, for me and millions of people, inventions of daily use that hugely improve the quality of life (and upon which my livelihood depends). And the best we can do is make them share $1.4 million.

The CEOs of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac managed to ruin two companies with a combined value of 10 trillion dollars, sent the world economy spiraling downwards, and contributed to the worst financial catastrophe and unemployment rate in decades. And we, the people, gave them severance packages of $9 and $14 million, respectively.

I think it's time to think about the signal we are sending our kids, and to do more for the people who actually make our lives better.

Tom

1 comment: